Thursday, May 22, 2014

Norway's Rice Cream Recipe


When the trio of desserts that comes at the end of the meal at Akershus arrived at our table, fiancĂ© and I were leery of the "rice cream."  The first bite or two we were both a bit perturbed, but the more and more I ate the more and more interesting I found the dessert to be.  Though it isn't something I would want all the time, I knew it would definitely be something that I would get a random craving for.

And boy did I!

I found a recipe on Disney Food Blog (one of my favorite Disney blogs!), but decided to tweak it a bit in order to make it lactose-intolerant friendly.  This basically meant that I used Cool Whip instead of making my own whip cream and using a milk-alternative, but you could easily use normal milk and still use Cool Whip for an easier and quicker version.


To make my version of Norway's Rice Cream (makes 4-6 servings), you will need:
  • 1 1/2 cups water (for the rice cream)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup short-grain rice (I used long grain, but I think the short grain would be better)
  • 2 cups milk (I used almond milk)
  • 2 cups Cool Whip*
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • About 1 cup strawberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water (for the strawberry sauce)
For the Rice Cream:
To begin, boil the water with the teaspoon of salt in a medium sized saucepan.  Add the rice once the water is boiling and reduce the heat to medium-low.  Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice absorbs all of the water.

Once the water has been absorbed, add the 2 cups of milk and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed.  The rice should stick together in clumps just a little bit, but be easily stirred.

Add the 2 cups of Cool Whip and the vanilla extract and refrigerate until chilled.  Store covered in refrigerator.

*If you want a more authentic version, make whipped cream yourself!  This will give the dessert a creamier texture.  Just take 1 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup of sugar, and the listed 1 tsp vanilla extract and whip together until stiff peaks form.  Mix this into the rice and milk combination.


For the Strawberry Sauce:
Puree 1 cup of strawberries.  Add the strawberry puree, water, and sugar to a saucepan and allow to simmer until thickened to a syrupy consistency.  Allow to cool to room temperature, and refrigerate to store.






Pour (or drizzle) some strawberry sauce on top of a serving of rice cream, and that's it!  You've made Norway's Rice Cream at home!

In the parks: Rice cream is available both as a dessert at Akershus and at the Kringla Bakeri, both located in Norway's plaza in World Showcase.




What's your favorite food from Disney that you would like to see a recipe for?  What would you like to see next on YADisney?  Let me know in the comments!



Also...
Have you checked out my Etsy page?  I'm selling Disney-inspired crystal pieces!
Check it out HERE!















Follow Young Adult Disney on Pinterest!
And on Twitter!






No comments:

Post a Comment